How To Be A Construction Contractor?

How To Be A Construction Contractor
What do you need to become a contractor? – Builders and tradespeople in NSW need to be licensed to do building work where the total cost of labour and materials is more than $5,000. Individuals may have their contractor licence endorsed with a Q and this indicates that the licence is also equivalent to a Qualified Supervisor Certificate.

  1. Obtain an appropriate degree in construction technology.
  2. Gain position, experience, and skill in construction.
  3. Create a business plan.
  4. Obtain a contracting license.
  5. Manage a contracting business.

How do I become a contractor in Alabama?

Alabama General Contractors Board. You can download the application by clicking on the Forms link or you can call us at (334) 272-5030 and we will be glad to mail you an application. No charge for Application. Application must be completed in its entirety.

How do I become a contractor in Kentucky?

As a citizen it is my responsibility to. – To obtain a license, a contractor may be required to provide information such as: evidence of financial stability; proof of liability insurance and compliance with Kentucky’s unemployment insurance and workers’ compensation laws; proof of compliance with other specialty craft laws and regulations; local, state, and federal tax numbers; references from past clients or past employers; and proof of compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations such as a City business license.

How much is a contractors license in Alabama?

If you need an Alabama general contractors license, you can obtain it by applying with the state Licensing Board for General Contractors. The official application form should be submitted together with the licensing fee, which is $300.

How hard is it to get a contractors license in Alabama?

Step 5: Take and pass exams – Once a complete application has been submitted and reviewed, the applicant will be able to register for the exams. All general contractors must pass the Alabama Business and Law exam, along with any exams related to the applied for specialty classifications.

These exams are provided and administered by PSI Exams, The Business and Law exam is a 50 question test, and you must get a 70% to pass. As for any trade exams, the length and passing score will vary depending on the classifications applied for. Congratulations! If you passed the required exams, the last thing you’ll need to do is submit your scores to the Board.

After they’ve received your scores, your license certificate should arrive shortly afterwards.

How hard is the NC contractors exam?

Do you need to get a General Contractor’s License for North Carolina? – To order your test preparation Click Here North Carolina is receiving a lot of positive publicity regarding its beauty and affordability, and most of all the number of people moving into the state continues to increase.

  • Retirees find North Carolina to be a very desirable place to relocate.
  • With the number of baby boomers moving into the state, the housing and home improvement markets are expecting record growth.
  • It’s time to get licensed and reap the benefits.
  • The related article expresses the realized and anticipated growth in the state of North Carolina.

Do I need a North Carolina builders license? According to the North Carolina Code, you must have a General Contractors license to work on projects costing more than $30,000. If the cost of the project is less than $30,000 or if the building is the owner’s personal residence, a license is not required.

Complete a General Contractors License application. Applications can be obtained from:

North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors P.O. Box 17187 Raleigh, NC 27619 (919) 571-4183 Fax: (919) 571-4703

  • Submit the General Contractors License application and supporting documents to the North Carolina Board for General Contractors. Applications must be received 30 days prior to any regularly scheduled meeting of the Board. The license fees for the various types of licenses are listed below:
    • An unlimited license permits you to act as general contractor without restriction as to the value of the project. You must also have $150,000 of working capital to apply for this license.
    • An intermediate license permits you to act as the general contractor for any project valued up to $700,000. You must also have $75,000 of working capital to apply for this license.
    • A limited license permits you to act as the general contractor on any project valued up to $350,000. You must also have $17,000 in working capital to apply for this license.

*NOTE – If you cannot prove the required level of working capital, an applicant may obtain a surety bond.

Successfully complete the NC contractors license exam that measures your knowledge of the profession. Once your application has been approved by the Board, you will be sent an Examination Eligibility Letter, along with instructions for registering and scheduling the examination.

One of the most important steps in obtaining your North Carolina Contractor License is preparing to take the contractors test. Our contractors exam preparation Online Course will help you accomplish this task in the most efficient way possible. By practicing all of the possible questions in the Online Course, you will be prepared for any combination of questions that you may be given on your contractors license exam.

  1. In addition, studying our Online Course helps you become familiar with computer generated tests and greatly reduces your anxiety on the day of your contractor exam since you prepared using a computer based testing (CBT) format.
  2. The next step is registering to take the NC contractors license exam.
  3. This can be done as soon as you receive your Examination Eligibility Letter from the Board.

The State of North Carolina uses PSI Examination Services to administer the builders test. There are 4 ways to register for the North Carolina General Contractors Exam:

  1. Internet – Log onto and complete the online test registration form. Once you complete the form you will be given a list of available dates to schedule your contractors license exam.
  2. FAX – Complete the Examination Registration Form and fax it to (702) 932-2666, Please allow 4 business days to process your registration.
  3. Standard Mail – Complete the Examination Registration Form in the Candidate Information Bulletin. Return the completed original form to PSI with the appropriate examination fee.
  4. Telephone – Call PSI at (800) 733-9267, 24 hours a day and schedule using the Automated Registration System or between 7:30 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. Monday through Friday ET and Saturday between 11:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. to schedule an appointment for the contractors license test with a registrar.

North Carolina builders license exams are given at the following locations:

  • Asheville, NC
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Greenville, NC
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Fayetteville, NC
  • Wilmington, NC
  • Winston-Salem, NC

The Candidate Information Bulletin outlines the topics covered on the General Contractors exam and contains complete instructions for taking the contractors license exam. CLICK HERE – for the North Carolina Contractor Exams Candidate Information Bulletin Taking the NC Contractors License Exam You have studied diligently and are ready to take the contractors license exam.

  1. You can arrive with confidence knowing that you are prepared for whatever questions may appear on the test.
  2. It is recommended that you arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled testing time.
  3. You must present two (2) valid forms of identification when you arrive at the testing center.
  4. One of the ID’s must have a photograph and your signature.

A driver’s license will satisfy this requirement. The name on the application must exactly match the name on the photo ID used to check in for the builders test. In addition, you should bring a non-programmable calculator. Our Online Course will prepare you for the following 3 exams: NASCLA General Contractor Exam – There are 115 question on the NASCLA exam and you must answer at least 81 correct to pass.

You are allowed 5.5 hours to complete the exam. Building Contractor Exam – There are 90 questions on the Building Contractor exam and you must answer at least 63 questions correctly in order to pass. The minimum passing score is 70%. You are allowed 3 hours to complete the exam. Residential Builder Exam – There are 90 questions on the Residential Builder exam and you must answer at least 63 questions correctly in order to pass.

The minimum passing score is 70%. You are allowed 3 1/2 hours to complete the exam. After you have completed the test, your score will immediately be displayed on the computer screen and a printed copy of your results will be given to you. Obtaining Your North Carolina Contractors License Once you have successfully passed the North Carolina builders license exam, your test results will be sent to the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors.

  1. The Board will then issue your license to practice as a General Contractor in the State of North Carolina.
  2. Traps to avoid It is a common misconception that since the builder exam is open book, it is not difficult to pass.
  3. In actuality the North Carolina construction license exam is more difficult to pass than similar closed book exams due to the fact that you have books available as a resource during the contractor exam.

You are permitted to bring certain reference materials into the builder test. The reference materials may be highlighted, underlined, or indexed to assist you in finding information quickly. The books may not be written in and may not contain any additional papers.

  1. Do not use sticky notes or Post Its to index your books because they are not permitted and you will be asked to remove them at the test center.) You are required to bring your own reference materials because they are not available at the testing center.
  2. We recommend purchasing the following reference books and using them together with our Online Course to give you the greatest chance of passing the builders license test the first time.

The following books and references are allowed into the North Carolina contractors license exam:

  • Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management – North Carolina Contractors Edition
  • North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry
  • North Carolina State Building Code, General Construction, 2006. (Only needed if you are taking the Building Contractor Exam)
  • North Carolina State Residential One and Two Family Dwelling Code, 2006. (Only needed if you are taking the Residential Builder Exam)
  • North Carolina State Administration and Enforcement Requirements Code
  • North Carolina State Building Code – Accessibility Code (Only needed if you are taking the Building Contractor Exam)

However, if you choose to take the NASCLA General Contractors License exam, you will be allowed to bring ALL the books into the exam with you. If you forget the answer to a question during the North Carolina construction license exam, having these reference books will allow you to quickly find the answer and complete the builder exam within the time allowed.

How much does a contractor license cost in NC?

North Carolina Contractors License Requirements Application fees for a North Carolina contractors license are as follows: General contractors license – $75 for a limited, $100 for an intermediate, and $125 for an unlimited license classification.

How long does it take to get a contractors license in NC?

FAQ for Contractors To obtain a license you must complete the Application for License to Practice General Contracting in the State of North Carolina which is available on the Boards website at, The application must fully comply with all requirements established by the Board’s statutes and rules.

  1. See requirements for becoming licensed.
  2. You should apply for the license in the name you are planning to bid, contract, and operate.
  3. Licenses can be granted to individuals or to companies, however, licenses are granted to specific legal entities and are only valid for work done by that entity.
  4. The primary requirements for licensing include, completing the application, be at least 18 years of age, possess good moral character, meet the minimum financial requirement based on the limitation of license you are applying for, and successfully completing an examination based on the desired classification of license.

Licenses are broken down into limitation and classification. Limitation determines the dollar size of the projects that can be undertaken with the license (see description of limitations). Classification determines the type of work that can be performed using the license (see list of classifications and their definitions).

  • In order to get prequalified to take the North Carolina examinations, you must first complete the new license application.
  • Once everything is in order on the application, an eligibility letter will be emailed to you with the necessary information to schedule the examination with PSI.
  • NASCLA is the National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies.

NASCLA offers a National Accredited Building Examination. The North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors accepts the NASCLA exam for the Building classification. However, the NASCLA exam is administered by the NASCLA organization. If you wish to take the NASCLA exam, you would do so prior to applying for the NC General Contractors License by contacting NASCLA at (866)948-3363 or through the NASCLA website,

New license applications are submitted via the website at, Once there, click on For Contractors and from the drop-down menu, select License Applicants. Once that page comes up, click the link that says, “Click to Apply for a New License”, License renewal applications are also submitted via the website at,

Once there, click License Renewal and proceed to log in and complete the renewal application. Working capital is determined by the entity’s total current assets minus the entity’s total current liabilities. (Working Capital = Total Current Assets – Total Current Liabilities) The limitation determines the total dollar size of the projects that the licensee can undertake.

A limited license allows contractors to undertake individual projects up to $750,000 each. The intermediate license allows contractors to undertake individual projects up to $1,500,000 each. The unlimited license has no dollar limit on the size of the projects that can be undertaken. There is not an insurance requirement for licensing.

However, there may be insurance requirements for individual projects or for pulling building permits. There is not an insurance or bonding requirement for a general contractor’s license. Bonds are only required if a surety bond is being used in lieu of meeting the minimum financial requirements for licensure.

  1. See rule,0204 (e) for surety bond requirements.
  2. Worker’s compensation is not a requirement for the general contractor’s license.
  3. However, worker’s compensation insurance is required by NC state laws.
  4. Please see the NC Industrial Commission’s website at for more details.
  5. Worker’s compensation insurance may also be a requirement for obtaining building permits for projects that require a general contractor’s license.

A qualifier is a responsible managing employee, owner, officer, or member of an LLC or partnership who successfully completes the examination required for licensing. Exams completed by qualifiers determine the classification(s) on the license. Qualifiers may qualify up to two licenses provided the qualifier is a managing employee, owner, officer or member of an LLC or partnership.

  1. Qualifiers are not licensees but are the holders of a qualifying credential that is required for licensure.
  2. Qualifying exams can be added to or removed from licenses however licenses themselves cannot be transferred.
  3. See NCAC Title 21 Chapter 12A,0205(a).
  4. Your CPA or independent accountant must provide an Agreed-Upon Procedures Report that conforms with AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) standards, an Audited Financial Statement, or surety bonds.

Examples of each of these documents is in the new license application and application for increase on our website. No. In lieu of an audit, your CPA or independent accountant must provide an Agreed-Upon Procedures Report (in lieu of an audited statement) that conforms with AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) standards.

Yes, your CPA or independent accountant must provide an Agreed-Upon Procedures Report (in lieu of an audited statement) that conforms with AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) standards. A surety bond can be used in lieu of either an audited financial statement or an agreed upon procedures report.

New applications take about 2 weeks for initial processing. If corrections are required, you will be contacted by email or phone to provide updated information. After initial processing, if an exam is required, you will be sent an eligibility letter that will allow you to schedule the exam.

  1. If an exam was already completed or when the required exam is completed, the application will go on the next list for Board Approval.
  2. Lists for Board approval are scheduled for twice a month.
  3. Once the Board gives their approval a license will be granted.
  4. The timeframe for the licensing process can vary.
You might be interested:  What Is Fineness Modulus Of Cement?

When an application is received it typically can take about 2 weeks for initial processing. Once the application and exams are completed, the application is required to receive Board approval before a license can be granted. Lists for Board approval are scheduled for twice a month.

If an application is submitted with a completed exam, the licensing process takes about 30 days. If an exam is required, it will depend on when exams are successfully completed. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks after exams are completed before a license to be granted. Lists of applicants for Board approval are typically sent out twice per month (0nce near the beginning of a month and once near the middle of the month).

The lists for Board approval do not go out on set dates or specific days each month. When sent, Board members must first give their approval of new applicants before a license can be granted. The staff at the Board cannot say specifically when a license will be granted because timing can vary depending on when lists are sent, and Board approval is received.

  • Qualifier Add Form : This form is used to add the exams of existing qualifiers already on a North Carolina License.
  • Examination Request Application : This form is used to schedule a potential qualifier to take a North Carolina exam.
  • Examination Waiver Form : This form is used to add an individual who completed an accepted examination from another state or who has completed a NASCLA exam and is not currently on a North Carolina License. The Examination Waiver form must be completed by the other state licensing board.

To remove a qualifier from a license you must submit a Qualifier Drop Form signed by the president/owner or the qualifier stating the name on the license, the license number, the name of the qualifier, and the date of disassociation. Licenses cannot be transferred.

  • Licenses are granted to specific legal entities and cannot be transferred to other entities.
  • However, qualifying exams can be transferred between licenses.
  • To get a license under a new entity you will need to apply for a new license in the name of the new entity and transfer your examinations.
  • To transfer your exams to an existing license, the contractor should submit the Qualifier Add form.

Once a completed form is received and processed the exams/qualifier will be transferred. If you want to add your exams to an entity that is not currently licensed, the entity will need to complete a new license application and the Qualifier Add Form included in the new application.

  1. No. Licenses are only valid for the entity named on the license.
  2. If you want to operate under a different name, you will need to apply for a new license in that name.
  3. Licensees have met all the requirements for licensure including completing the application, meeting a financial requirement by submitting financial information, submitting character reference letters and having someone complete the exam on behalf of the license.

Licenses are issued to a specific legal entity whose name is listed on the license. Licenses can be granted to corporations, LLCs, partnerships, or individuals. Qualifiers are the people who pass the exams on behalf of a license. Qualifiers are defined as responsible managing employees, owners, or officers of the licensed entity.

  • Qualifiers are not licensees unless they applied for and received a license as the individual.
  • To apply for a license in another state you will need to contact the licensing board in that state for the process and requirements.
  • The other boards typically require a license verification from the North Carolina Licensing Board.

To receive a verification, you will need to email () a request that includes the name on the license, the license number, the state you need a verification for. If a verification form is required by another state, the licensee section must be completed before this office can complete the verification form required by that state.

  • Normally, it can take about 2 weeks to process before the verification is completed.
  • The North Carolina Licensing Board does not have full reciprocity with any other state.
  • We currently have examination waiver agreements with South Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida.

(See details regarding exam waivers). You will need to complete the new application in its entirety and the board you are licensed with in the other state must complete the Examination Waiver form included in the application. The application and waiver must be submitted together.

  • When using the examination waiver from another state, the qualifier will have to pass the NC Business and Law exam.
  • To renew your license, you will need to go to and log into or create your license account.
  • Once logged into your account, you will need to go to the “Renewal” section where you can complete the renewal application.

All continuing education requirements must be met, and all fees must be paid. Please follow the instructions on the application. For the financial statement information, you may either upload a balance sheet from a financial software reflecting the licensed entity’s required working capital or net worth depending on the limitation of the license OR check the statement of attestation, provide the as of date of the financial attestation and provide the name of the person acting on behalf of the licensee.

  1. If choosing the statement of attestation option, there is no requirement to submit anything additional.
  2. The date field functions differently depending on which web browser you are using.
  3. If you are using Microsoft Edge, after selecting the date you must press the check button in the bottom left of the dropdown before it locks the information into place.

With Chrome and Firefox, you can just type the date into the field, and it will format itself. Before a license can be renewed, all qualifiers must verify their continued association with the license. On the bottom of the “Renewal at a Glance” page there is a section for license qualifier verifications.

  1. Set as Owner: If the qualifier is the owner of the licensed entity they can be set as owner. This will complete their verification.
  2. Quick Verify Email: You can send the qualifier a quick verify email. This will send them an email with a link to a page where they can check the box to verify their employment with the license.
  3. Qualifier Accounts: A qualifier can log into their online qualifier account through and go to the renewal section. There they can check to box to verify their employment with the licensee.

To remove a qualifier from a license you will need to submit the Qualifier Drop Form. The form can be found on the licensee and qualifier portal at, This form can be emailed to, It can take 24 to 48 hours to process before it reflects on the online account for license renewal.

  1. No. Paper applications are no longer accepted.
  2. To set up a qualifier account the qualifier must be invited to create their account by the license account.
  3. The manager of the online license account will need to log in and go to the qualifier section.
  4. From there they can send invite emails to the qualifiers.

In the email there will be a link that will allow the qualifier to create their online account. Limitation changes cannot be processed with a renewal application. To increase your license limitation, visit our website at, Click the tab For Contractors and from the drop-down menu select Classifications and Limitations.

You will need to download and print the Application for Increase in Limitation from the link (). In addition to the application for increase, submit with it a copy of an audited financial statement, agreed upon procedures report, or the surety bond. Requests for decrease in limitation must be processed in writing prior to completing the online renewal application.

The written request must be signed by the president/owner of the license and include the name on the license, license number, and request a decrease in limitation specifying which limit is desired. The request should be emailed prior to the renewal of the license.

  1. An annual report must be filed every year with the North Carolina Secretary of State (NCSOS) to maintain your company’s status to lawfully operate in the State of North Carolina.
  2. If the proper paperwork is not filed with the NCSOS, the company’s Certificate of Authority status is changed by the NCSOS to reflect that the Certificate of Authority is Administratively Dissolved (for NC corporations) or Certificate of Authority Revoked (for foreign corporations).

To restore the status to reflect it is in good standing with the NCSOS you will need to contact the NC Secretary of State at 919-814-5400 or, The company’s status will be updated when all requirements set forth by the NCSOS are satisfied. A revenue suspension is issued by the North Carolina Department of Revenue indicating tax filings are missing from their records.

  • To determine what corrections or filings are required, you will need to contact the North Carolina Department of Revenue at 1-877-252-3052.
  • The company’s status will be updated when all requirements set forth by the NC Department of Revenue are satisfied.
  • To reset/change your online account password you will need to click the “Forgot Password?” button below the license number and password boxes on the login pages.

Follow the prompts asking for license number and verifying that you are not a robot. An email will then be sent to the primary email address of the license account with a link that will allow you to perform a password reset. To change the primary email on your account you can log onto the online account.

On the top bar click on “My Account” and then “Edit Profile.” On that page you can put the new email information in and press the “Update” button. This will send a verification email with a link that will finalize the email change. If you do not have access to your online account, you will need to call the Board at 919-571-4183 to receive assistance from a staff member.

When doing a license search, the 1 at the bottom of the page indicates page 1 of search results. On a successful search, the page will list license number, license name, status, and have a button for further license details. If no license entries are listed, that means there were no matches for that license name/number.

The website allows for searches of specific contractors by License Name, License Number or License County. The NCLBGC Search is available on our website at under Licensee and Qualifier Search and allows for searches by License Name, License Number, and Address. To obtain a full list of active licensees or qualifiers, or more specific lists, you can submit a request for a mailing list via email.

Mailing lists cost start at $25. You can request a complaint form by visiting, You can also request a complaint form by calling the Licensing Board at 919-571-4813. If the complaint request demonstrates it falls within the jurisdictional authority of the Board, a formal complaint form will be sent.

Once a completed complaint form is submitted, the Board will begin the process of investigating the complaint. The N.C.G.S.87-1 defines a general contractor as a person, firm or corporation who manages or oversees construction projects where the cost of the project is $30,000 or greater. The State General Contractors License is not required if a project is under $30,000.

Subcontractors typically operate under the license of the prime general contractor unless they are managing or overseeing a project. You will be notified and advised of the allegations filed with the Board against you. When notified you will also be provided with contact information for the investigator who has been assigned to investigate the case.

  1. You will also be asked to respond to the allegations made against you in writing and submit your response to the Board as soon as possible.
  2. The investigator may wait to contact you until after he has received your response.
  3. To expedite the investigation your cooperation is needed.
  4. NCAC Title 21 Chapter 12A,0701 and NCAC Title 21 Chapter 12A,0702) A complaint is a public record.

The information that remains on the license record is the resulting Board decision. A disciplinary action will be disclosed upon request. Yes, pursuant to NC General Statutes 87-13 & 87-14 complaints can be filed and investigated by the Board for a project that is $30,000 or more and involves an unlicensed contractor.

If evidence to support an allegation of unlicensed general contracting is discovered during an investigation the Board may seek injunctive action in the Superior Court. No, the Board has no authority to require a contractor to make repairs or make reimbursement of funds. No, the Board has no specific authority to impose civil fines or penalties.

No, the Board does not have authority to require a contractor to reimburse a consumer. The consumer would need to take legal action through the courts to recover funds or property. Neither. The Board has specific authority over the license and the examination credential for the qualifier.

  1. When a complaint is submitted and subsequently opened by the Board it is an administrative matter between the Board and its licensee and/or qualifier.
  2. The complainant or the person who submitted the complaint is not a named party in the complaint but is a key witness for the Board during its investigation and especially in the event probable cause is found by the Board to conduct a hearing against the contractor.

No, only the owner can apply and serve as Owner Builder. Solely for occupancy is restricted to the family of a person, officers, shareholders of a firm or corporation and guests and social invitees where no consideration is received. For purposes of G.S.87-1(b)(2) “family is defined as a spouse or other family member who lives in the same household.

The Owner Builder shall actively manage and superintend the project being constructed. Hire, manage, be invoiced and pay all subcontractors and suppliers. The Owner Builder will also be responsible for scheduling and being physically present for all inspections. Theoretically a person who owns the property can apply for additional building permits as Owner Builder before 12 months has passed since completion of a previous owner builder permit.

The person is still bound by the original affidavit requiring the owner to occupy and control the property for 12 months before offering it up for sale or lease. Provided the person owns the property and executes the Owner/Builder affidavit attesting that they will be actively managing the project including the hiring, managing and paying all subcontractors.

  • In addition, they must attest that they will not put the property up for sale, lease or management agreement for 12 months after the issuance of a certificate of occupancy.
  • They must also call for and be present for all inspections during construction.
  • When the setup costs and other ancillary costs are $30,000 or more.

No, the homeowners recovery fund fee is collected only on single family attached or detached residential permits. Project cost as defined by G.S.87-10(a1) is the value of the project minus the cost of the land and ancillary improvements to the land. Submit a written request to and specify which county you would like a roster for.

Or you can access the Board’s mobile app which is available to download at no cost on either the Google Play store for android devices or the Apple store for Apple devices.8 hours of CE must be completed in order to renew a license by at least one qualifier for licensees in the license classifications of Building, Residential and Unclassified.

For the Unclassified license, it shall be a qualifier who has passed the Building examination. In situations where a licensee has more than one qualifier, if any qualifier also qualifies a second license with the Residential or Building classification, the qualifier would need to complete the CE requirement to renew that license.

  • The 8-hour CE requirement includes a mandatory 2-hour course produced by the Board with information about changes in the laws and rules and other content applicable to general contracting.
  • The remaining 6 hours are elective courses that were produced by approved providers and approved by the Board.
  • The CE year begins January 1 and ends on November 30 annually.
You might be interested:  How To Clean Dust From Construction?

Classes will not be available during the month of December. A list of approved providers may be found at, Approved classes may either be taken in-person, on the internet with a live instructor teaching in a synchronous distance learning platform like Zoom or WebEx, or, on the internet with no live instructor present, through e-Learning modules that can be completed within 30 days of registration.

  1. The Board’s website allows you to search by: preferred course delivery method, class date, course category, by provider, or by instructor.
  2. You can also find contact information for approved providers to obtain more information about the class and the registration process.
  3. You may take the Board’s Mandatory 2-hour class from any of the Board-approved providers, in any of the Board approved delivery formats (in-person, Synchronous Distance Learning virtual classrooms, or e-Learning modules).

The only place to take the e-Learning version of the Mandatory Class, however, is through the Board’s exclusive online CE provider, Training Folks, at, The Board does not set those fees. Each provider establishes the fees for all courses that they have been approved by the Board to offer.

  • If you do not know your qualifier number, go to,
  • Enter your name in the “By Qualifier Name” search area and then press the “submit” button.
  • Your qualifier information will appear.
  • If you search by “name” and more than one option appears, and you cannot determine which one is you, contact Board staff at (919) 571-4183 for assistance.

No, the CE requirement is a total of 8 hours for a qualifier. If the qualifier completes the annual 8-hour CE requirement and qualifies 2 licenses, the hours will be posted to the records of both licenses to allow the license to be renewed. Yes, the completion of 8 hours of board-approved CE must be earned after the license is granted, and is required each time the license is renewed, the CE requirement applies even if your license was initially granted in the month of December.

Only if the provider offering courses to meet your other occupational licensing requirement also chooses to apply as a provider for the NCLBGC and submits the course content for review to NCLBGC and is approved. Because each licensing board operates under different statutes and rules, the requirements for each licensing board may be different, even if content is relevant for both license types.

The only courses a qualifier for a general contractor’s license may receive credit for are those approved by the NCLBGC. Only if the provider offering credits to meet your CE requirement in that other state also chooses to apply as a provider for NCLBGC and submits the course content for review to NCLBGC and is approved.

  • Individual states operate under their own statutes, rules, and regulations, and requirements for each state may be different.
  • The only courses a qualifier for a North Carolina general contractor’s license may receive credit for the North Carolina license are those approved by the NCLBGC.
  • A licensee may request that the Board place the license in an annual inactive status at the time of renewal, which exempts the qualifier from having to complete the CE, so long as the license renewal form and fees are submitted.

The license, however, will be invalid, and the licensee will not be able to use the license to conduct business as a licensed general contractor for as long as the license remains inactive. The request is required to be made each year the licensee chooses to place the license in an inactive status.

Yes, if the license has been in an inactive status for less than 2 years, the qualifier will need to complete 8 hours of CE, including the current year’s mandatory course. If the license has been on inactive status for more than 2 years, then the qualifier will need to complete 16 hours of CE, including the current year’s mandatory course.

In accordance with the law, a license that has been invalid for a period of four consecutive years cannot be renewed and will be archived by the NCLBGC. Licenses that have been invalid for less than 4 consecutive years may be renewed, provided a renewal application is filed and accompanied by evidence of continued financial responsibility and evidence of satisfactory completion of continuing education.

If the invalid license was not renewed for 1 year, then the qualifier will need to take 6 hours of elective credit plus the current year’s 2-hour mandatory course before renewing the license. If the invalid license was not renewed for 2 years, the qualifier is required to take 12 hours of elective credit plus the current year’s 2-hour mandatory course.

If the invalid license was not renewed for 3 years, the qualifier is required to take 18 hours of elective credit plus the current year’s 2-hour mandatory course. If the invalid license was not renewed for 4 years, the qualifier is required to take 24 hours of elective credit plus the current year’s 2-hour mandatory course.

  • If you have previously set up a qualifier account, then all you need to do is go to, click on the “CliC HERE” button underneath “Qualifier”, and then sign in with your Qualifier ID and password.
  • You will see the option to “View Transcript” by clicking on the “View” button.
  • Here, you will find a listing of all classes which have been reported by an approved provider as being successfully completed by you.

(Please note the provider has up to 7 days after the course has been completed to report your credit hours to NCLBGC). PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR COURSE COMPLETION CERTIFICATES TO NCLBGC, If you have not set up your qualifier account (not a licensee account), you may click on the “CliC HERE” button underneath “Qualifier” at,

  1. Follow the steps to set up your account.
  2. Once your account is properly set up, and you are signed in, you will see the option to “View Transcript” by clicking on the “View” button.
  3. Here, you will find a listing of all classes which have been reported by your provider as being successfully completed by you.

(Please note the provider has up to 7 days after the course has been completed to report your hours to NCLBGC). PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR COURSE COMPLETION CERTIFICATES TO NCLBGC, You do not need to send them to NCLBGC. Certificates of completion given to you by your course provider are for your records only.

  1. Your provider has up to 7 days to report to the Board those who have successfully completed board-approved CE courses.
  2. The hours are automatically posted to your qualifier account transcript when the provider uploads the completed hours to the Board.
  3. If you have questions about when and how that will occur, first, contact your provider directly and only if there is a discrepancy that you and the provider cannot resolve you may contact Board staff.

: FAQ for Contractors

How much is a contractor license in Kentucky?

Bowling Green, Kentucky general contractor license requirements – You must submit a general contractor license application fee of $250 with your application.

How long does it take to register as a contractor?

8. How Long Does it Take to Apply For CIS Online? – If you are already registered as self-employed then registering as a subcontractor may only take a few days. If you need to register as self-employed then you will need to allow more time. Registering as self-employed and getting a UTR number can take up to 10 days. You can only proceed to register as a CIS subcontractor once this is completed.

Do you need a builders license in Kentucky?

How to get a contractor’s license in Kentucky – The only contractors that the State of Kentucky requires to carry a state-issued license are electrical contractors, plumbing contractors, and HVAC contractor s. Other than that, all licensing will go through local municipalities and counties.

How do I start working in construction?

Three basic ways to get started in the construction industry – Once you’ve decided on a career, you can choose which of these options works best for you to get started:

  1. Register as an apprentice and combine on-the-job training with in-class learning.
  2. Enroll for post-secondary training at a university, community college or technical institute and study for the construction career of your choice.
  3. Or, find a job as an entry-level construction worker and learn the skills you need on the job.

Click on any of the sections below to learn more:

Can civilians be contractors?

Civilian Contractor: What Is It? and How to Become One? A civilian contractor is someone who works overseas under contract for the government or military. In this field, you can also work for non-governmental organizations, private military contractors, and other foreign contracting services.

Civilian contractors provide numerous support services to the government. You may also have infrastructure and development duties. As a civilian contractor, you must have experience in your specific field before considering work as a contractor. You often work in conflict zones or in underdeveloped regions of the world that need basic services and support.

The qualifications to become a civilian contractor depend largely on the industry in which you work and your specific job. However, generally, the qualifications and requirements are similar to those you need to have to perform the same work domestically.

  1. If you teach English abroad, for example, you should have a bachelor’s degree.
  2. Nurse contractors need a bachelor’s in nursing and must be registered.
  3. As an engineer, you should have a background in the field, professional credentials, and the proper education.
  4. Security workers need prior military or law enforcement experience.

Skills necessary for contractor positions include strong verbal communication skills and a willingness to work in high-pressure situations. Workers from nearly every sector and industry can be civilian contractors. You can find work as a mechanic, construction worker, infrastructure engineer, or medical care professional, to name a few.

  • You can also work as a private military contractor to provide protection to sensitive sites, such as oil pipelines and telecommunications infrastructure.
  • Your responsibilities may require you to drive military or freight trucks, provide interpretation services for military or diplomatic missions, or consult on government and aid work.

The duties and responsibilities for all these positions are similar to those in domestic contracting, but there is significantly more risk involved in contracting in overseas conflict zones. : Civilian Contractor: What Is It? and How to Become One?

Is it worth being an independent contractor?

Benefits of Independent Contracting | Xero Businesses around the world are moving to more flexible employment methods in order to cut costs. is a driving force behind this change, and it’s benefiting a particular type of worker – the contractor. Contractors are people who work on a contract basis, not as regular employees.

  1. Each contract might span a few months, a few weeks or even a one-off piece of work.
  2. Contractors often go from one company to another in a short space of time, or work part-time for two or more companies simultaneously.
  3. It might sound like an insecure life for the contractor, but knowing that your skills are in demand by more than one company can actually make you feel more secure.

There’s a lot to think about before deciding whether the life of a self-employed contractor would suit you. Here are some important points to consider: As a general guide, you will be considered to be a contractor instead of an employee if you:

own at least part of your own business work for multiple companies during each tax year have specialized skills or expertise work on a temporary, short assignment or project work for a client for a limited period of time and not on a permanent basis supply most of your own materials and equipment have a client who makes the ultimate decisions about the project you’re working on

Check local rules for a clearer picture, as the guidelines vary from one country to another. There are a number of advantages to being a contractor. Contract work provides greater independence and, for many people, a greater perceived level of job security than traditional employment.

  1. Maintain a good work/life balance Less commuting, fewer meetings, less office politics – and you can work the hours that suit you and your lifestyle best.
  2. Being a contractor means you get paid for every hour of work you do, at the market rate.
  3. If your skills are in demand, your income could be high.
  4. Test out a new field of expertise Not sure if there’s a market for your skills? You can dip a toe into a new industry without committing yourself to a full-time job.

If it doesn’t work out, you can cut your losses quickly and easily. Start on a part-time basis This can be appealing to young people just graduating from college, or older people who want to experiment with a second or even third career. If you’re not sure a new company is offering the right full-time employment opportunity for you, suggest first working for them as an independent contractor.

  • If these benefits sound appealing, you might have the right mindset and skills to become a contractor.
  • Contractors often start as employees first, before leaving to work on their own.
  • They have a good knowledge of the rates being paid and the type of work expected of them.
  • If you’re not sure what you can charge, have a look at sites such as for rates and other information.

Remember, you’ll only be paid for the work you do. You usually won’t be paid when you’re sick or taking time off. There will be no company pension or retirement plan, no corporate healthcare package and no dental coverage. But some people are able to do high-value work in a short space of time.

  1. Even taking into account loss of holiday pay, sick pay and other benefits, such workers can still come out ahead financially as contractors.
  2. How far ahead? Think about what you could charge per hour or per job.
  3. Then think about how much work you’re likely to get.
  4. Now research the cost of providing your own healthcare insurance, sickness and time off coverage, retirement plan, equipment and so on.

Take these numbers and put them into your accounting software to forecast your likely income. Do the figures add up? Only by planning carefully will you know whether it’s time to strike out alone. It may be helpful to talk to a financial advisor before making the final decision.

There are some disadvantages to being a self-employed contractor. Perhaps the biggest is employment rights – in most countries, you won’t have the same legal rights as a regular employee. Here are some things to consider when you’re a contractor: Only paid for the work you do You’ll have no income during temporary lulls in workload.

This can be stressful, so you’ll need to budget carefully. You won’t have employment benefits Your client doesn’t have to provide you with health benefits or even (in some countries) pay you the minimum wage. You may not be covered by Workers Compensation or similar schemes It may seem unfair, but you may not be treated on an equal footing with other workers.

  1. You won’t belong to the organization you happen to be contracting for.
  2. They don’t have to invite you to company meetings or involve you in strategy discussions or planning.
  3. And some full-time employees may resent you if they think you’re earning more than them.
  4. You may not be covered under equal opportunity employment laws This varies from one country to another – some governments apply the same legislation to contractors, but many don’t.

Taxes are not withheld and paid by your client This means that if you don’t put money aside for your year-end tax bills, you could get into trouble. Use good quality accounting software to keep track of tax owed and the contents of your savings accounts.

Set up your business: Check out our for tips on getting registered, choosing a business structure, budgeting and more. Write a business plan: Be sure to include things such as your rates, expenses and expected growth. Seriously consider hiring an accountant at this stage so that you can that’s realistic and professional. Separate personal and business banking: This makes it much easier to manage your accounts. Obtain insurance: Professional indemnity and public liability are usually the important ones. Find out more about, Choose good quality accounting software: Use it to track expenses, send out invoices and reduce your end-of-year tax work.

It’s also a good idea to have your own standard contract, NDA (non-disclosure agreement) and services agreement for your clients to sign. Be aware that some clients may prefer to use their own documentation. There are several ways of finding contract work.

You might be interested:  How To Get More Leads For My Construction Company?

Specialized websites: Companies post projects for individuals to bid for on sites such as Upwork Government-run procurement sites: Mainly for public sector projects, these can be useful for finding contract work – governments require several steps for you to become a supplier Social media sites, especially LinkedIn: Use your connections to learn what businesses are looking for – and bid when they announce invitations to tender Your contacts: Reach out to your friends and see if they know of anyone who needs assistance at their companies Other contractors: Your skills might be complementary to theirs, allowing you to form a loose consortium of contractors who can refer work to each other

If what you make or do can be delivered online or by mail, you can broaden your search to other countries. Good accounting software will make it easy to invoice in different currencies. When you become an independent contractor, suddenly all the things that were done for you – such as administration, accounts and marketing are now your responsibility.

Simple project management and time-tracker software: This will help you track your work by time and project, so you don’t under- or over-charge Good accounting package: Be sure to get this right, as it can form the backbone of your business Good to-do list tool: Nobody else will manage your time for you, so you’ll have to do it yourself Word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software: Online collaborative office software suites are often free to use for small businesses, and can save you time and expense Marketing suite of apps: Whether it’s creating and maintaining your website or managing your social media presence, there are apps available to help you publicize your contractor business

Ideally, these tools should all be so you can access your data anywhere, anytime and on any device. Contract work involves responsibility, drive, the ability to act on your own, commitment and initiative. You may also have to cope with a solitary working environment at times, or insecurity about where the next job is going to come from.

But with the right skills and attitude, being a self-employed contractor can be liberating and empowering. It’s likely you’ll have more freedom than you ever had in your previous working life. And with the cloud-based software applications available today, becoming a contractor is easier now than ever.

Xero does not provide accounting, tax, business or legal advice. This guide has been provided for information purposes only. You should consult your own professional advisors for advice directly relating to your business or before taking action in relation to any of the provided content.

Safe and secure Cancel any time 24/7 online support

Or : Benefits of Independent Contracting | Xero

How much is a Florida Contractors license?

For a registered general contractor license: If applying between May 1 of an odd year through August 31st of an even year: $309. If applying between September 1 of an even year through April 30 of an odd year: $209.

How much work can you do without a contractor license in Louisiana?

For commercial projects, if the total project amount exceeds $50,000, a contractor’s license is required. For home improvement projects, if the total project amount exceeds $7,500 but not exceeding $75,000, a home improvement registration is required.

How long does it take to get a contractors license in MD?

Application Process Business Requirements Business License Exam Preparation Exam Registration Exam Retakes Felony Convictions Financial Solvency Licensing Workshop Marine Contractor License Mold Remediation Name Similarity New Home Construction Out-of-State Contractor’s License Paper License License Application Reciprocity Salesperson License Salespersons Unlicensed Contractor – Conviction

1. Application Process I have submitted my application, how long does it take to process? The application approval process may take two – three weeks, as described below. If the application is incomplete or incorrect, the process will take additional time.

The first step is for the financial institution responsible for handling the application fee to process the applicant’s check. Once the check clears, the application is sent to MHIC for review, which typically begins one week after the check clears. Depending on the number of applications being processed, the review period typically takes five days. However, incomplete or incorrect applications take longer to review. If information is missing, MHIC staff will attempt to contact the applicant and request that the missing information is sent to the Commission. If the applicant does not respond, then MHIC staff returns the application to the applicant. Once all the information is correct, the application is reviewed twice and approved by a licensing supervisor. Once the application is approved, the applicant’s complete information is loaded onto the Commission’s licensing database. Each night, the database updates the Commission’s public query search on the internet, so the licensee’s name will appear the following day in the public query information. The licensee will receive a paper license in the mail within 10 days of the application being approved.

2. Business Requirements Are the requirements for an MHIC license the same for an existing company as they are for a new company? We already have an accounting department, insurance coverage, etc. Assuming the requirements are the same, do we apply as a corporation or individual? Many of the requirements in the PSI Candidate Bulletin seem to apply to individuals instead of a corporation.

Yes, the requirements for a company are the same regardless of how long the company has been in business. The individual is required to take the exam and meet the financial eligibility requirements. Each MHIC licensed business must have an individual who holds an MHIC license and meets the requirements for licensure.3.

Business License We have our MHIC license. I wanted to make sure we don’t need a business construction license as well. Could you please clarify as I want to make sure I meet all Maryland requirements? The Home Improvement License covers all home improvement services performed on homes and apartment buildings that contain three or fewer units.

A contractor who holds an MHIC license is not required to hold a business construction license under Title 17 of the Business Regulation Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland. For additional information about business licenses, you may wish to check the Business Licenses Online and to also check the requirements at the State Department of Assessments and Taxation,4.

Exam Preparation Is there a course to prepare for the required exam? Is any course required in order to apply for an MHIC license? Many community colleges offer an MHIC exam prep course. A course is not required. Montgomery College offers an exam prep course in Spanish.5.

Exam Registration How do I register to take the exam for my license? To register for the contractor or salesperson exam, please contact PSI Exams online or 1-800-367-1565. On the PSI Homepage, click on Government/State Licensing Agencies, then select Maryland as the jurisdiction and select MD Home Improvement as the account.

Then click on download Candidate Information Bulletin. The forms to order the study guide and to register for the exam are contained in the Candidate Information Bulletin.6. Exam Retakes I did not pass the exam. What do I need to do to retake it? If you did not pass the exam, then you must wait for 30 days until you can reapply.

  • Any subsequent requests cannot be made until 60 days have passed.
  • You must pay the exam fee each time.7.
  • Felony Convictions When I was younger, I was convicted of a felony.
  • Can I still obtain an MHIC contractor license? Each applicant is required to report to the Commission any conviction of a felony or a misdemeanor that is directly related to the fitness and qualifications of the applicant or licensee to engage in home improvement services.

The applicant must provide a “true-test copy” from the clerk’s office of the court where the conviction occurred. The facts the Commission shall consider in the denial, reprimand, renewal, suspension, or revocation of a license when an applicant or licensee is convicted of a felony or misdemeanor are: the nature of the crime; the relationship of the crime to the activities authorized by the license; with respect to a felony, the relevance of the conviction to the fitness and qualification of the applicant or licensee to provide home improvement services; the length of time since the conviction; and the behavior and activities of the applicant or licensee before and after the conviction.8.

Financial Solvency What is financial solvency and why is it required? Each applicant for a home improvement contractor’s license must meet the Commission’s financial solvency guidelines based upon the applicant’s personal assets. The Commission does not consider business assets when evaluating an applicant’s financial solvency.

The Commission requires each contractor to show financial solvency because the Guaranty Fund will compensate a homeowner up to $20,000 (or the total amount of payments made on the contract) in the event the contractor performs an unworkmanlike, inadequate, or incomplete home improvement.

Any applicant who does not meet the financial solvency guidelines may purchase a surety bond or obtain an indemnitor.9. Licensing Workshop Can you please explain what the licensing workshop is, and whether I am required to attend the workshop before I apply for a license? The workshops are free and offered to anyone who is interested in learning more about the MHIC license requirements and the application process.

The workshop is not mandatory; however, we recommend you attend because it will help ensure that your application is complete and correct. Many applications are delayed and returned to the applicant because information and forms are either missing or incorrectly filled out.

  1. Workshops are held at 500 North Calvert Street, 2nd Floor Conference Room, Baltimore, MD 21202, on the third Thursday of every other month (even numbered months only) and the third Tuesday of every other month (odd numbered months only) at 2 p.m.
  2. For more information about the workshops, please visit our website,

Pre-registration is not required. Please use the Centre Street entrance.10. Marine Contractor License Can you please explain what type of license a marine contractor needs? Is it a home improvement license? As of January 1, 2017, The Marine Contractors Licensing Board (MCLB) has tested and licensed 170 Marine Contractors.

Now that the Marine Contractor Licensing program has been implemented by the Department of the Environment, pursuant to Business Regulation Article, Sec.8-301(d)(6), the MHIC will no longer have any jurisdiction over marine contracting services, including the installation of piers and shore erosion control projects.

Please note that if a Marine Contractor performs home improvement work outside the scope of the Marine Contractor License, the contractor must still hold an MHIC license. The full definition of Marine Contractor services is at Environment Article, Sec.17-101(f),

The Maryland Marine Contractors Licensing Board (MCLB) is administered by the Maryland Department of the Environment. The MCLB website defines a Marine Contractor Service as: “Marine contractor services” means construction, demolition, installation, alteration, repair, or salvage activities located in, on, over, or under State or private tidal wetlands and includes: (1) dredging and filling; (2) the construction, demolition, installation, alteration, repair, or salvage of structures, including boathouses, boat or other personal watercraft lifts or ramps, slips, docks, floating platforms, moorings, piers, pier access structures, pilings, wetland observation platforms, wetland walkways, and wharfs; and (3) the construction, demolition, installation, alteration, repair, or salvage of stabilization and erosion control measures, including revetments, breakwaters, bulkheads, groins, jetties, stone sills, marsh establishments, and beach nourishment or other similar projects.11.

Mold Remediation I currently have an MHIC license. Do I need an additional license for mold remediation? In 2008, the Maryland Mold Remediation Services Act passed, requiring all contractors and companies that perform mold remediation work in residential properties to be licensed by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission.

No additional license is required. On July 1, 2019 this subtitle was terminated.12. Name Similarity How do I know if a name is available to use for my home improvement business? MHIC regulations state that a name of an individual, partnership, proprietorship, or corporation shall not be accepted if the name under which the applicant will be trading is the same as the name being used by an existing licensee, or is so similar to the name being used by an existing licensee that it will cause confusion on the part of the public at large.

Therefore, prior to registering the business name of a company with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation, an applicant is advised to contact the Commission to make sure that a specific name is available.13. New Home Construction Is a contractor license with MHIC sufficient for building a new home in Maryland? The Home Improvement Commission license does not cover new home construction.

All builders who build homes in Maryland must be registered with the Home Builder Registration Unit of the Office of the Attorney General. For more information, please visit the OAG website, Home Builder Registration Unit Consumer Protection Division 200 St. Paul Place, Baltimore, MD 21202 410-576-6573 / Toll Free: 877-259-4525 Fax: 410-576-6566 E-mail: [email protected] 14.

Out-of-State Contractor’s License I am a contractor licensed in another state. I don’t have an office in Maryland, but I would like to provide services there. Do I need a separate license for the State of Maryland? Each contractor who solicits or performs home improvement services in Maryland is required to hold an MHIC license.

This is true regardless of whether the contractor holds a license in another State. It is also true even if the contractor does not have an office in Maryland. Out-of-state contractors must also register with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation,15. Paper License My company is showing up on your website as an active contractor; however, we have not yet received our license in the mail.

Each licensee is mailed a paper copy of the Home Improvement License. Typically, the license arrives 10 days after the application is approved.16. License Application Our company would like to know the requirements for a home improvement contractor to get licensed in the State of Maryland.

Is there an application/testing process? Yes, each individual who wishes to obtain an MHIC license as a contractor or salesperson must register to take the licensure exam. After passing the exam, the individual receives the license application package. The exams are administered by PSI Exams, Inc. For more information about registering for the exam, please visit the PSI Exams website and follow the links to the Maryland Home Improvement Commission’s Candidate Information Bulletin.

The Commission hosts a free workshop on the third Thursday of every odd-numbered month at 2 p.m. for anyone who is interested in learning more about the licensing requirements and process. The workshop is held at 500 N. Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21202.

Registration is not required. Please use the Centre Street entrance.17. Reciprocity I am a licensed contractor in another state. Do I still have to take the contractor exam for Maryland? The Maryland Home Improvement Commission does not offer reciprocity with any other states because each licensee must demonstrate knowledge of Maryland laws and regulations.18.

Salesperson License How can I get an MHIC salesperson license? In order to obtain an MHIC salesperson license, an applicant must pass an exam and must receive written notice signed by a licensed contractor and the applicant verifying that an employment or other contractual relationship exists between the licensed contractor and the salesperson.

  • The salesperson exam is administered by PSI Exams.
  • To purchase the study guide and to register for the exam, please visit the PSI Exams website,19.
  • Salespersons What are the business license requirements for salespersons? A solicitor and salesperson is required to obtain an MHIC salesperson license or a contractor license.

In order to obtain a salesperson license, the individual must pass the salesperson exam, which is administered by PSI Exams. In order to apply for a salesperson license, the individual must present to the Commission a written notice signed by a licensed contractor and the applicant for the salesperson license confirming an employment or other contractual relationship between the licensed salesperson and the contractor.

An individual salesperson may not represent more than two licensed contractors at a time, and concurrently may only represent one licensed contractor when negotiating a home improvement contract with the same homeowner.20. Unlicensed Contractor – Conviction I was convicted of acting as a contractor without a license.

Am I eligible to apply for a home improvement contractor’s license? The Home Improvement Law states that the Commission may issue a license to an individual who has been found guilty of acting as a contractor or salesperson without a license if the Commission determines that the applicant has settled all outstanding obligations and one year has passed since the date of the conviction.