What you need for Apply for a construction supervisor license –
- Determine which type of license you are applying for. Supervisor licenses are available for many kinds of construction. This page describes the scope of work to be supervised.
- Verify 3 years of experience in building construction or design. See applying for a construction supervisor license, below, for more details.
- Submit the candidate exam registration form, The exam is administered by Prometrics.
- Call 800-813-6671 for the exam date.
- Take the exam.
- Mail the score report to the Board of Building Regulations and Standards.
- 0.1 How much is a construction supervisor license in Massachusetts?
- 0.2 What does a construction supervisor do?
- 1 What is the difference between a construction supervisor and a foreman?
- 2 Do you need qualifications to be a supervisor?
- 3 Can I hire an unlicensed contractor in Massachusetts?
- 4 Is there a general contractor license in Massachusetts?
- 5 Who appoints construction supervisor?
- 6 How much is a HIC license in Massachusetts?
- 7 What is the difference between individual contractor Licence and qualified supervisor certificate?
How much is a construction supervisor license in Massachusetts?
Types of Licenses – Massachusetts offers three basic categories of construction supervisor licenses.3
Construction of projects that are greater than 35,000 square feet must be supervised by a professional engineer, architect, or their designee.
- Home Improvement Contractor, This type does not usually require a license. However, registration is compulsory at a cost of $100.
- Electrical Contractor, This type is broken into four different, progressive grades:
- Journeyman : Requires three years of experience, 300 hours of classroom education, and costs $312.
- System Technician : Requires 4,000 hours of work within the two years prior to application, 300 hours of classroom education, and a high school diploma or GED. The license costs $312.4
- Master Electrician: Requires completion of one year of work as a licensed Journeyman. The cost of this license is $402.
- System Contractor : Requires one year of experience as a licensed System Technician and 75 hours of classroom education.5
- Plumbing Contractor, Requires three years of supervised apprenticeship and three hundred hours of classroom education. The cost of the exam is $117.
- Abatement Contractor, Required for the removal of asbestos and lead. The cost for an asbestos abatement license is $2,050 per year, renewable annually. The license for lead abatement must also be renewed annually at a cost of $575. Please follow the links to find specific licensing requirements.
What does a construction supervisor do?
Construction supervisors are responsible for the management and safety of construction projects. Through planning, organizing, and controlling projects, they create an efficient and safe workplace, including materials and personnel.
How many questions are on the CSL test in MA?
What Is the MA CSL Exam and Who Needs to Take It? The MA unrestricted CSL exam is an open book test consisting of 75 questions that you must complete in three hours. Candidates who earn a score of 70% or higher will receive a passing grade.
How much is a contractors license in Massachusetts?
Getting a construction supervisor license (CSL) – In Massachusetts, general contractors are considered “construction supervisors,” and there are several types of construction supervisor licenses (CSL) that apply. Restricted construction supervisor license holders can build two-family dwellings, including accessory buildings and structures.
MasonryWindows, doors, and sidingInsulationRoof coveringSolid fuel-burning appliancesDemolition
Construction supervisor licenses are a function of the state’s Division of Professional Licensure, Whether you’re applying for a restricted, unrestricted, or specialty CSL, the steps are relatively similar. To qualify for a construction supervisor license, you must be able to prove that you have three years of experience in building constriction or design,
Three or four years of high school vocational training can substitute for one year of experienceA bachelors degree can substitute for one year of experienceA bachelors degree in architecture, science, engineering, or technology can substitute for two years of experienceActive construction-related military experience counts for the entire full three years
If you meet those requirements, you’re free to start your exam application journey. The CSL licenses all involve taking a standardized, open-book test. This test is held by Prometrics, and you need to fill out this exam application and mail it in. After waiting a suggested 10 days from mailing, you should contact Prometrics and schedule your exam.
- You’ll have to score a 70 or better on this test in order to continue with the application process.
- If you pass the exam, the score report will include instructions on applying and obtaining your license.
- It typically takes around 30 days for the Department of Professional Licensure to process each application.
Fees for applying for a construction supervisor license are $150 for the restricted and unrestricted license, and $150 plus $100 for each specialty for the specialty CSL license.
Is a construction supervisor the same as a general contractor?
General Contractor vs. Construction Manager Whether you’re researching for a new project or looking to get into the construction field, understanding the ins and outs of all potential roles can get complicated. Construction projects don’t just get designed and built overnight, and sometimes there can be hundreds of people involved that bring a construction project to life.
|Hired through bidding process
|Hired based on experience and credentials
|Begins work after design process
|Involved in pre-design phase
|Builds entire project from beginning to completion
|Oversees project from pre-design to completion
|On job site physically construction entire project
|Not involved directly on the job site
The key difference between a General Contractor (GC) and a Construction Manager (CM) is that a GC will be a business entity, and a CM will be an individual. GCs are going to be hired as a 3rd party through a bidding process to manage the construction of a predetermined design, while a CM will work on behalf of the company owner and be hired based on qualifications to work on a project from design to completion.
What is the difference between a construction supervisor and a foreman?
Forepeople are often the primary communicators with construction managers and supervisors who have less direct involvement with construction work. They also provide critical updates about projects’ progress, budget goals and timelines to the stakeholders who aren’t regularly on-site.
Do you need qualifications to be a supervisor?
Direct Application – You’ll usually need at least 1 or 2 years’ experience in a job to apply directly for team leader or supervisor vacancies. Employers may also want you to have work-based qualifications and evidence of relevant training certificates for the industry you’re working in.
How many times can you take a CDL road test in Massachusetts?
Eligibility and Important Information – Applicants under 18 must complete all Junior Operator License requirements including completing a Driver’s Education Program, If you’re over 18, you don’t need to complete a Driver’s Education Program. If you fail your road test, you must wait 2 weeks before taking another test.
Can I hire an unlicensed contractor in Massachusetts?
What is the difference between an HIC Registration and a Construction Supervisor License (CSL)? – A holder of a Construction Supervisor License (CSL) is required to have passed an examination which demonstrates knowledge of the state building code. A CSL is generally required for any work that involves a building’s structural elements.
- A holder of an HIC registration is not required to pass an examination.
- The holder is required to register with the state by paying an application or renewal fee and paying a one-time fee which is deposited into the Guaranty Fund administered by OCABR.
- Whether your contractor is required to have both a CSL and an HIC depends upon the scope of work of your project and the construction they perform or advertise to perform.
Most construction projects will require both a licensed and registered contractor. However, if your contractor does not hold a valid CSL but the work he/she contracts to perform requires it, he/she must obtain a CSL or hire an active Construction Supervisor Licensee to supervise the project.
Is there a general contractor license in Massachusetts?
Home Improvement Contractor Registration and Renewal
Information and resources on registering as a home improvement contractor. All contractors, partnerships, and corporations that solicit, bid on, or perform residential contracting as a contractor or subcontractor on an existing one to four unit owner occupied residential property in Massachusetts must be registered as a Home Improvement Contractor (HIC).
Who appoints construction supervisor?
Regulation 8: Management and supervision of construction work – RCS 8. (1) A principal contractor must in writing appoint one full-time competent person as the construction manager with the duty of managing all the construction work on a single site, including the duty of ensuring occupational health and safety compliance, and in the absence of the construction manager an alternate must be appointed by the principal contractor.
(2) A principal contractor must upon having considered the size of the project, in writing appoint one or more assistant construction managers for different sections thereof: Provided that the designation of any such person does not relieve the construction manager of any personal accountability for failing in his or her management duties in terms of this regulation.
(3) Where the construction manager has not appointed assistant construction managers as contemplated in subregulation (2), or, in the opinion of an inspector, a sufficient number of such assistant construction managers have not been appointed, that inspector must direct the construction manager in writing to appoint the number of assistant construction managers indicated by the inspector, and those assistant construction managers must be regarded as having been appointed under subregulation (2).Construction Regulation 2014 (4) No construction manager appointed under subregulation (1) may manage any construction work on or in any construction site other than the site in respect of which he or she has been appointed.
5) A contractor must, after consultation with the client and having considered the size of the project, the degree of danger likely to be encountered or the accumulation of hazards or risks on the site, appoint a full-time or part-time construction health and safety officer in writing to assist in the control of all health and safety related aspects on the site: Provided that, where the question arises as to whether a construction health and safety officer is necessary, the decision of an inspector is decisive.
(6) No contractor may appoint a construction health and safety officer to assist in the control of health and safety related aspects on the site unless he or she is reasonably satisfied that the construction health and safety officer that he or she intends to appoint is registered with a statutory body approved by the Chief Inspector and has necessary competencies and resources to assist the contractor (7) A construction manager must in writing appoint construction supervisors responsible for activities and ensuring occupational health and safety compliance on the construction site.
(8) A contractor must, upon having considered the size of the project, in writing appoint one or more competent employees for different sections thereof to assist the construction supervisor contemplated in subregulation (7), and every such employee has, to the extent clearly defined by the contractor in the letter of appointment, the same duties is the construction supervisor: Provided that the designation of any such employee does not relieve the construction supervisor of any personal accountability for failing in his or her supervisory duties in terms of this regulation.
(9) Where the contractor has not appointed an employee as contemplated in subregulation (8), or, in the opinion of an inspector, a sufficient number of such employees have not been appointed, that inspector must instruct the employer to appoint the number of employees indicated by the inspector, and those employees must be regarded as having been appointed under subregulation (8). Johan Ackerman 083 261 55760870575728 [email protected] : Regulation 8: Management and supervision of construction work – RCS
What is a construction supervisor called?
First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades & Extraction Workers Construction Foreman, Construction Supervisor, Electrical Supervisor, Roustabout Field Supervisor
- Inspect work progress, equipment, or construction sites to verify safety or to ensure that specifications are met.
- Read specifications, such as blueprints, to determine construction requirements or to plan procedures.
- Supervise, coordinate, or schedule the activities of construction or extractive workers.
Is a supervisor higher than a project manager?
Authority Level – Managers have a higher level of authority than supervisors. They are charged with making decisions about what needs to be done to meet organizational goals, for establishing high-level expectations, and ensuring that supervisors and their departments meet those expectations.
Who is higher foreman or supervisor?
A Foreman typically supervises nonsupervisory workers, and has substantially full supervisory responsibility for control over work operations and the subordinate workforce. At the Foreman level, supervisors are accountable to higher-level supervisors for quantity and quality of work produced by the unit.
Does a supervisor have to be on site?
Keeping the work environment safe and secure and ensuring employees are properly paid are primary reasons for supervision. If these concerns, and other industry-specific issues, can be addressed without the onsite presence of a supervisor, employers may allow unsupervised work.
How much is a HIC license in Massachusetts?
0 to 3 employees: $100.4 to 10 employees: $200.11 to 30 employees: $300. More than 30 employees: $500.
What is a supervisor in construction called?
First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades & Extraction Workers Construction Foreman, Construction Supervisor, Electrical Supervisor, Roustabout Field Supervisor
What is a CSL license in Massachusetts?
Unrestricted Construction Supervisors License (CSL) Covers construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, removal, or demolition involving any activity regulated by the code for: 1.35,000 cubic foot enclosed spaces.2. One- and two-family dwellings or any accessory building thereto, irrespective of size.3.
Buildings used for farm purposes.4. Retaining walls less than 10 feet in height at all points along the wall as measured from the base of the footing to the top of the wall. The unrestricted CSL covers all of the licenses listed below. Restricted Construction Supervisors License Covers construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, removal, or demolition involving any activity regulated by the code for: One- and two-family dwelling and accessory buildings thereto, irrespective of size.
The restricted CSL covers all of the licenses listed below. Masonry Only CSL Covers construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, removal or demolition involving the elements of: 1. fireplaces, chimneys, required means of egress stairs of masonry 2.
A masonry only license is not sufficient for the construction of masonry buildings. Supervision of such work would require possession of at least a restricted construction supervisor license, dependent upon the scope of the work. Residential Roof Covering CSL Covers installation, alteration, repair or removal of residential roof coverings or roofs of buildings of any use group that contain less than 35,000 cubic feet of enclosed space and/or buildings or structures for agricultural use.
A Residential Roof Covering Construction Supervisor is not authorized to work on or supervise work related to the structural elements of a residential roof, including sheathing. Residential Window and Siding CSL Covers installation, alteration, repair or removal of residential windows and siding as defined by the applicable codes.
A Residential Window and Siding Construction Supervisor in not authorized to work on or supervise the work relating to any structure elements of a residential building, except as incidentally related to the installation of windows and siding. Residential Solid Fuel Burning Appliance CSL Covers installation of solid fuel burning appliances.
What is the difference between individual contractor Licence and qualified supervisor certificate?
Company and partnership licences All the information you need to get a company or partnership licence. Use the menu on the right to find what you need. Your company or partnership must have a contractor licence before you contract, sub-contract or advertise to do:
There are different types of licences available in NSW depending on whether you want to contract with another party or supervise work. A contractor licence allows you to contract with other parties and advertise to do work. You can only do the types of work described on your licence card.
Certificates are issued for 1, 3 or 5 years.
Their work must be overseen and signed off by someone who holds a contractor licence or qualified supervisor certificate. Tradesperson certificates are only issued to individuals. From 1 July, 2020 you can have a Tradesperson certificate issued for 1, 3 or 5 years. Tradesperson certificates used to be known as a journeyman. Tradesperson certificates used to be known as a journeyman.
Not telling us is an offence. If you go without an acceptable nominated supervisor for more than 30 days, without getting consent from us first, your licence will be cancelled. Nominated supervisors must also get in touch with Fair Trading within seven days of leaving a company or partnership to tell us they have left.