Every construction project, from the small bathroom renovation to the towering skyscraper, has a similar process. Each project requires planning and design. You also need to consider inventory, resources, and manage supplies, the actual construction of the project needs to be managed, and there will be post-construction details to tie-up.
Every construction project, regardless of size, benefits from a solid plan and a great project manager who is familiar with construction project management. To build the right plan for your construction project it is helpful to understand the construction process. The construction process is the detailed steps required to complete your construction project.
This process can be broken down into five phases – planning/design, pre-construction, procurement, construction, and post-construction. Depending on the size and scope of the project, each phase has its own set of challenges. While construction projects may vary in size, the number of stakeholders, budget, and delivery date, one thing remains certain: Construction projects are always a long and demanding process with lots of moving parts.
What is the building construction process?
What Is Building Construction Process? – This process refers to constructing the various parts of a building structure on a construction site. The building construction process includes stages such as planning, estimate, site survey and layout, excavation, substructure and superstructure, Electric and Plumbing work and finishing.
- Process of Building Construction 1.
- Acquisition of Plot or land 2.
- Estimation & Budget 3.
- Hire a contractor or Builder 4.
- Site cleaning, 5.
- Levelling work, 6.
- Survey and Layout 7.
- Excavation 8.
- Substructure, 9.
- Plinth, 10.
- Superstructure 11.
- Masonry Work 12.
- Electrical and Plumbing 13.
- Door And Window Frames 14.
Plaster 15. Finishing
What is construction?
While in college, I was very much interested in Analysis and Design of structures including foundations. I thought that I will master in analysis and design after joining a good firm. But after joining the No.1 Construction Company in Asia, I realised what is the actual process of construction.
Construction has two phases, one is Analysis and Design, and the other is Execution at site. Analysis and design is done after the site investigation and the type of structure demanded by the client. This is the most important phase of the construction process, as the end product of the construction depends on this.
Any minor fault in the design may lead to huge disaster and loss of life and property, so it is done by the most experienced persons. A person can be master in analysis and design, but may not be a good designer unless he has experience from the site exposure.
- The real experience in construction comes from the site, as we see the construction happening in front of our eyes and find the mistakes in design and learn from them.
- A person with good experience at site can be a good designer as he has some idea about the construction problems being faced at site.
So, to be a good designer, we must start from site. Construction is the process of converting imagination into reality. We imagine something not existing, then draw its plan, analyse, design and then execute at site to get out imagination into reality.
- Following are the types of construction in general: 1.
- Building and infrastructure construction 2.
- Heavy construction 3.
- Industrial construction For any large construction, we follow the steps as below: 1.
- Tendering 2.
- Designing 3.
- Execution 4.
- Handing over Before tendering, we do site investigation and prepare an approximate design of the structure and applies some empirical formula, derived based on experience, to calculate the approximate cost of the project so as to quote our price.
After the tender has been awarded, the contractor prepares the detailed layout of the project after analysing and designing. This detailed drawings are then sent to site after approval from the client for execution purpose. And after the execution part is over the product is handed over to the client.
What are the pre-construction steps in building construction?
Pre-construction Steps a. Acquire Land b. Seek Technical/Consultant d. Prepare Estimation and Budgets e. Building Permits f. Approach a Contractor g. Building Warranty Period 2. During Building Construction Steps a. Site Clearance b. Excavation d. Plinth Beam or Slab e. Superstructure Column and Beam f. Brick Masonry Work g. Lintel Over Door Window
How to plan the construction of a building?
Building Construction Process – A better understanding of building construction basics is essential for completing a building construction project. It is the first step toward the successful completion of a construction project. Construction of a building requires time, effort and significant investment.
- It is like solving a puzzle regardless of the type of building.
- Before starting the construction of a building, one should plan it according to its purpose and uses so that the building construction process begins with its plan.
- So, here we are sharing a step-by-step process of building construction from start to finish in the article.
These essential steps will help you plan your housing project efficiently and in a prefered way. Our motive is to deliver you a better understanding of the building construction process in an easier way. So, we have organized this process into two stages; the pre-construction phase and the construction phase,
What are the 7 stages of construction?
- Planning&Architectural Programming. During the initial stages of the design process, the architect and engineer have a number of client meetings in order to determine the purpose,goals and
- Contract/Working Drawings/Plans.
- Architectural Plans.
- Structural Plans.
- Mechanical Plans.
- Electrical Plans.