🕑 Reading time: 1 minute Raft foundation is a thick reinforced concrete slab which spreads over a large area of soil and provides support for several columns and load bearing walls. It is also called as mat foundation which are widely used foundation system. Raft foundation is a type of shallow foundation. Fig 1: Raft or Mat Foundation
- 0.1 What are 3 types of footings?
- 0.2 What is slab and its types?
- 1 What are the 2 types of foundation?
- 2 What is called footing?
- 3 What is the most common slab footing?
- 4 How many types of foundations are there based on depth Mcq?
- 5 What type of foundation covers the entire base of the structure?
- 5.1 What type of foundation or footing covers the entire area beneath a structure and supports all walls & columns?
- 5.2 What type of foundation assembles a mat so that the foundation is spread over the entire area of the building floor?
Which Foundation consists of thick reinforced concrete slab covering the entire area of the bottom of the structure like a floor?
Answer (Detailed Solution Below) – Option 4 : Beam and slab construction Free CT 1: Current Affairs (Government Policies and Schemes) 10 Questions 10 Marks 10 Mins Concepts: Mat foundation is also known as the raft foundation. It is a continuous thick reinforced concrete slab on the soil that covers all the area of the ground of the structure like a floor.
- Types of Mat Foundations: 1.
- Flat Plate Raft: A flat plate raft is used in the small and lightweight load structure.
- This type of foundation is suitable when the soil is not compressible.
- The reinforcement bars are provided in directions, top and bottom, in the form of a mesh (cage).2.
- Thickened Plate Under Columns : In this, the thickness of the RCC slab is increased to a certain extent.
It is suitable where the column loads are very high and the flat plate raft is not efficient.3. Slab and Beam Construction: In this type of mat foundation, beams are placed in perpendicular directions, and all the beams are connected by an RCC slab. The columns are placed at the intersection of beams.
- It is suitable when the columns are carrying unequal loads and the spacing is large between them.4.
- Piled Raft Foundation: Piled raft foundation is supported by piles in the soil.
- They are suitable for high compressive soils, where the water table is high in tall buildings.
- Latest DFCCIL Executive Updates Last updated on Oct 25, 2022 The Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Limited (DFCCIL) has rescheduled the dates of Document Verification for the Advt.
No.04/2021. The candidates whose names were on the waiting list will have their DV on the 7th of November 2022. Candidates who will get a successful selection under the DFCCIL Executive Recruitment process will get a salary range between Rs.30,000 to Rs.120000.
What is slab footing?
Slabs – Slab is an important structural element which is constructed to create flat and useful surfaces such as floors, roofs, and ceilings. It is a horizontal structural component, with top and bottom surfaces parallel or near so. To read more about slab thickness evaluation please click here, Fig.1: Reinforced concrete slab
What are 3 types of footings?
Shallow Foundations – Also referred to as open or spread footings, these foundations are made by first excavating all of the dirt around the footing until you get to the bottom and then building up the footing. This type of footing takes the weight load from each column and spreads it over an extended area so that the weight it’s bearing does not exceed the safe bearing capacity of the soil.
Individual Footings – These are probably the most commonly used type in building construction, and are used when columns are carrying the weight load of the building. Each column will have its own square (or rectangular) base that it sits on. The number of columns will be determined by the total weight of the building, and the engineer will calculate how much is safe for each to bear. Strip Footings – This kind of foundation is usually found in older buildings made of masonry where the weight load of the building is carried by whole walls rather than single columns. These footings are long strips that support the weight of entire walls. Raft Footings – This kind of foundation is commonly used when the building needs an accessible basement. The slab of concrete will act as the foundation in the basement and then the weight of the building is spread out evenly over the entire size of the slab. If the soil is weak in the area, sometimes columns will be placed to help support the load.
What is slab and its types?
Frequently asked Questions – 1.What are the major types of concrete slabs used in construction? The major types of concrete slabs used in construction are one-way joist slab, flat slab, flat plate, waffle slab, hollow core slab, precast slab, slabs on grade, hardy slab, and composite slab.2.
- What are slab on grade or ground slab? The slab which is cast on the surface of the earth is called a Ground slab.
- It can be waffle raft slab, stiffened raft slab or slab on ground type.3.
- Which is the most commonly used precast slab cross-section? The most commonly used precast slabs are the channel and double-T types.
They can be used for spans up to 15m. The double-T slabs vary in sizes and spans up to 15m have been used.4. What are the important features of Bubble deck slab? Bubble Deck slabs reduce weight, increase strength, larger spans can be provided, fewer columns needed, no beams or ribs under the ceiling are required.
What are the 2 types of foundation?
Foundation is a critical stage of building construction. The two major types of foundations are shallow foundations and deep foundations. Just as the models sound, they are measured by their depth in the soil and the load they can carry. You don’t have to be an engineer to read this piece.
- It will guide you as a property owner to determine if your engineer is well informed and fit to carry out your project.
- This article is simple enough for a better understanding of this early stage of building construction,
- Before commencing construction of any sort of building, it is necessary to know the type of foundation suitable for building construction.
Mistakes at this level are detrimental to the durability of the building and can create a failure in the whole structure.
What is slab foundation type?
What Is Buying a House on a Concrete Slab? – The foundation that your house is built on can have a major impact on the structural integrity of your home. A slab foundation is made of concrete that is typically 4″ to 6″ thick in the center. The concrete slab is often placed on a layer of sand for drainage or to act as a cushion.
What is called footing?
: the act of moving on foot : step, tread.
What is the most common slab footing?
Slab insulation – A slab-on-ground can be ground coupled (uninsulated) or insulated. An uninsulated slab in a good passively designed house has a surface temperature approximately the same as the stable ground temperature at about 3m depth. Depending upon your location, this may or may not be desirable.
Ground coupling in mild climate zones such as Perth, Brisbane or coastal New South Wales allows the floor slab of a well-insulated house to achieve the stable temperature of the earth: cooler in summer, warmer in winter. In winter, added solar gain boosts the surface temperature of the slab to a comfortable level.
In northern Australia, ground coupling works well unless the building is to be air-conditioned, in which case insulating the slab — especially the edges — is essential. The impact of surrounding temperature on a slab In climates with colder winters, such as Melbourne or the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, the deep ground temperature is too low to allow passive solar heating to be effective enough. In these locations, it is recommended that slabs are insulated underneath (to decouple the slab from the ground), which reduces the amount of heat required to achieve comfortable indoor temperatures.
Slab insulation can be done with large sheets of high-density foam, laid all the way under the floor panels, with only the edge and internal beams penetrating to foundation level. Alternatively, the common and cost-effective waffle pod slab supplies sufficient insulation in all but alpine climate zones.
Reinforced cement concrete pour on a foundation footing by concrete pump
Waffle pods are interconnected dense closed cell foam. Preferred foams are extruded polystyrene (XPS) and polyisocyanurate (PIR) foams, which also have higher R values. Expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam breaks up easily on site, causing damaging pollution, and is not recommended. Plastic domes (top) and waffle pods (bottom) before the slab is poured Photo: Light House Architecture & Science Insulating the edges of floor slabs prevents warmth escaping through the edges of the slab and is beneficial in all but the mildest climates. Slab edge insulation detail
How many types of foundations are there based on depth Mcq?
Basic Civil Engineering Questions and Answers – Foundation This set of Basic Civil Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Foundation”.1. How many types of foundations are there based on depth? a) 3 b) 4 c) 5 d) 2 View Answer Answer: d Explanation: The 2 types are shallow and deep foundations.
2. The figure below represents: a) Isolated footing b) Wall footing c) Strap footing d) Mat foundation View Answer
Answer: b Explanation: Wall footing or strip footing is a continuous strip of concrete that serves to spread weight of load bearing wall.3. _ footing is used in load bearing masonry construction. a) Isolated b) Strap c) Strip d) Pile View Answer Answer: c Explanation: The strip footing bears a whole load of an entire wall.
It is a continuous footing that runs below the wall.4. How many types of combined footing are possible? a) 2 b) 3 c) 4 d) 5 View Answer Answer: a Explanation: Combined footing is provided when 2 columns are very close by. They can be rectangular or trapezoidal in section.5. CPRF stands for: a) Combined Plain Round Foundation b) Connected Pile Round Foundation c) Combined Pile Raft Foundation d) Corrosion Proof Raft Foundation View Answer Answer: c Explanation: CPRF uses the combination of pile and raft foundation as the name suggests.
It is used as a foundation for high rise buildings. It is more powerful, strong, load bearing, safe than raft or pile when used. Check this: 6. Micropiles find its main application in retaining walls. a) True b) False View Answer Answer: b Explanation: Micropiles are used for under pinning.
- They are used in highways, bridges and transmission tower projects.
- Sheet piles are extensively used in retaining walls.7.
- Steining is a component of which of the below type of foundation? a) Pile b) Strap c) Isolated d) Well View Answer Answer: d Explanation: Well foundation is a type of deep foundation.
It is shaped like a well. The well is dug, filled with sand/concrete. Steining is the wall provided to the well and it is built over a wedge shaped portion, called well curb.8. Pier foundation is also called: a) Caisson b) Box c) Bridge d) Girder View Answer Answer: a Explanation: Caisson foundation is often used in the construction of bridge piers, hence it is also called pier foundation.
Caisson can be floated to the site and sunk to the required position. It is used under water also.9. The figure below represents _ piles. a) Load bearing b) End bearing c) Friction d) Sheet View Answer Answer: c Explanation: Friction piles are usually used in construction to provide underground support to structures.
They work on static friction developed between soil surface and the pile.10. Which of the below is not a preliminary consideration for building a foundation? a) Bearing capacity of soil b) Ground water condition c) Settlement control d) Soil organisms View Answer Answer: d Explanation: Bearing capacity of soil, ground water conditions and settlement control are all very important parameters to be considered while selecting the right foundation.
- Every soil contains organisms, foundation should be able to withstand their activities.11.
- Machine foundation is subjected to: a) Static loads b) Wind loads c) Static and dynamic loads d) Dynamic loads View Answer Answer: c Explanation: Machine foundation is used in industries, workshops, where there is machinery under use.
The static load includes a dead load of the machine and dynamic load (the working load). It should be able to withstand both these loads. Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Civil Engineering. To practice all areas of Basic Civil Engineering,,
Get Free Participate in Become a Take Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapterwise Mock Tests:
, a technology veteran with 20+ years @ Cisco & Wipro, is Founder and CTO at Sanfoundry, He lives in Bangalore, and focuses on development of Linux Kernel, SAN Technologies, Advanced C, Data Structures & Alogrithms. Stay connected with him at, Subscribe to his free Masterclasses at & technical discussions at, : Basic Civil Engineering Questions and Answers – Foundation
What type of foundation covers the entire base of the structure?
Raft or mat foundation – A raft or mat foundation is a large slab supporting a number of columns and walls. This type of foundation is spread across the entire area of a building and is used when soil pressure is low or where columns and walls are so close that individual footings would not be appropriate or cost effective.
Which type of foundation is a thick slab beneath the entire area of a building?
Mat foundation ; A thick slab beneath the entire area of a building.
What type of foundation or footing covers the entire area beneath a structure and supports all walls & columns?
Free CT 1: Prehistoric History of Madhya Pradesh 10 Questions 10 Marks 7 Mins Concept: A raft or mat foundation is a combined footing that covers the entire area beneath a structure and supports all the walls and columns. When the allowable soil pressure is low, or the building loads are heavy, the use of spread footings would cover more than one half of the area and it may prove more economical to use mat or raft foundation.
- Piles are vertical columns driven into the ground on which wooden or concrete platforms are supported.
- The piles are driven at regular distances.
- The size and distance apart of the piles depend upon the bearing capacity and type of soil and the load of the structure.
- Grillage foundation is generally used for heavy structure columns piers and stanchions.
It consists of two or more tiers of beams laid at right angles to distribute the load over a large area. Last updated on Sep 29, 2022 MPPSC AE Revised Selection List Out! This is for advt no 05/2020. Earlier, the Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission (MPPSC) had released the MPPSC AE Result for the written examination 2021.
What type of foundation assembles a mat so that the foundation is spread over the entire area of the building floor?
🕑 Reading time: 1 minute A raft or mat foundation is a large continuous rectangular or circular concrete slab that carries the entire load of the superstructure and spreads it over the whole area beneath the building. It is considered as one type of shallow foundation and is useful in controlling the differential settlement.