Basic Civil Engineering Questions and Answers – Types of Cement and Uses This set of Basic Civil Engineering Questions and Answers for Experienced people focuses on “Types of Cement and Uses”.1. What is the abbreviation of PPC? a) Perfect Portland Cement b) Portland Produced Cement c) Portland Pozzolana Cement d) Productive Portland Cement View Answer Answer: c Explanation: Pozzolana is a material containing silica.
- PPC is formed by intergrinding ordinary Portland cement, clinker, gypsum and pozzolanic material.2.
- Which of the following is not an advantage of rapid hardening cement? a) Faster construction b) Short curing period c) Light in weight d) Higher final setting time View Answer Answer: d Explanation: The initial and final setting time of rapid hardening cement is the same as that of ordinary cement.
It attains higher strength in less time. It develops the same strength of ordinary cement in four days rather than 28 days.3. High alumina cement can be used for massive concrete work. a) True b) False View Answer Answer: b Explanation: High alumina cement is obtained by adding 55% bauxite and 35-45% lime.
It hardens rapidly and it is costlier. It cannot be used for massive concrete work.4. How many types of cement are there based on the ability to set in presence of water? a) 2 b) 3 c) 4 d) 5 View Answer Answer: a Explanation: The 2 types are hydraulic and non-hydraulic cement. Hydraulic cement sets and becomes adhesive due to reaction with water.
Non-hydraulic cement does not set under-water or in wet conditions.5. What property does air-entraining cement provide? a) Workability b) Soundness c) Fineness d) Strength View Answer Answer: a Explanation: Air-entraining agents are added to cement during manufacturing.
These create voids and in turn increases workability when used in concrete. Get Free Now! 6. Which of the following types of cement is used in marine structures? a) Expanding cement b) High alumina cement c) Blast furnace slag cement d) White cement View Answer Answer: c Explanation: Blast furnace slag cement is obtained by combining slag and cement clinkers.
These have less heat of hydration and are not affected by sea water. Hence, can be used for marine structures.7. Which pair of the compound and coloured cement mentioned below is wrong? a) Iron oxide-yellow b) Cobalt-black c) Chromium oxide-green d) Manganese dioxide-brown View Answer Answer: b Explanation: Cobalt imparts blue colour to cement.
- Iron oxide in different proportion imparts brown, red and yellow colour.
- Manganese dioxide produces brown and black coloured cement.8.
- Low heat cement is ideal for use in the construction of dams.
- A) True b) False View Answer Answer: a Explanation: Heat of hydration is heat produced during chemical action between cement and water.
In mass concreting works (dam) heat will be high and effect the stability of a structure. Hence, low heat cement is ideal for use.9. Which of the following is not a pozzolanic material? a) Fly ash b) Silica fume c) Cinder d) Slag View Answer Answer: c Explanation: Pozzolans are silicate based materials that form cementitious materials.
- Fly ash, silica fumes and slag are composed of oxide of silicon.
- Cinder is a coal residue.10.
- Water proof cement is prepared by mixing ordinary cement with: a) Resins b) Water repellent chemicals c) Sulpho-aminate d) Metal stearates View Answer Answer: d Explanation: Resins are added in air entraining cement.
Water repellent chemicals in hydrophobic cement. Sulpho-aminate is added in expanding cement. Metal stearates (Ca, Al, etc) are added in small percentage during grinding to get water proof cement. Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Civil Engineering.
Get Free Participate in Become a Take Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapterwise Mock Tests:
, a technology veteran with 20+ years @ Cisco & Wipro, is Founder and CTO at Sanfoundry, He lives in Bangalore, and focuses on development of Linux Kernel, SAN Technologies, Advanced C, Data Structures & Alogrithms. Stay connected with him at, Subscribe to his free Masterclasses at & technical discussions at, : Basic Civil Engineering Questions and Answers – Types of Cement and Uses
- 0.1 Which cement is best for coastal areas?
- 1 What type of cement is best in marine structure construction and why?
- 2 Which cement is used for water tank?
Which type of cement is used in marine work?
Free 20 Questions 20 Marks 20 Mins The blast furnace slag cement has very low permeability and provides good resistance to chloride and sulphate attack which is present in seawater. The blast furnace slag cement is widely used in the marine structure.
Blast furnace slag cement other uses: Used for structures meant for water retaining such as retaining wall, rivers, ports, tunnels for improvement in impermeability. Used in mass concreting works such as dams, foundations which require low heat of hydration. Last updated on Sep 27, 2022 Uttarakhand Power Corporation Limited (UPCL) is soon going to announce the official notification for the UPCL AE 2022.
A total of 105 vacancies were released for the previous recruitment cycle and the UPCL is expected to release more vacancies for this year. Candidates with Graduation degrees are only eligible to apply for the recruitment process and after selection will get a salary range between Rs.56,100 to Rs.2,06,700.
Which cement is best for saltwater?
A Portland-fly ash cement such as Blue Circle Sulfacrete is a good choice for concrete in these circumstances (look for the designation CEM II/B-V +SR) as it get progressively more impermeable with time and has a greater chemical resistance to the chlorides present in sea water.
Sea water does not significantly attack good quality concrete, but it can cause rusting of any embedded metal which may eventually crack the concrete. Concrete exposed to sea water should always have a low water/cement ratio (below 0.55), high strength (C30 or above) and must be properly cured in order to develop its full resistance to seawater penetration.
For reinforced structural concrete seek specialist advice. Go Back Last updated: November 24, 2020
Which cement is best for coastal areas?
3.Portland Slag Cement (PSC): – PSC is used for structures built near the sea shore. PSC provides excellent resistance to sulfate and chloride. PSC has excellent corrosion resistance properties, hence it is widely used in coastal regions, sewage disposal, and water treatment plants.
What is OPC cement used for?
OPC is a general purpose Portland cement suitable for all uses where the special properties of other types are not required. It is used where cement or concrete is not subject to specific exposures, such as sulfate attack from soil or water, or to an objectionable temperature rise due to heat generated by hydration.
What type of cement is best in marine structure construction and why?
4. WHICH CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS TO USE – The basic construction materials required for marine work are: cement; aggregates (sand and stones); reinforcing steel; rubble; timber or steel piles; fastenings; timber wales or sections; and some other minor items.
- Cement is a green-grey powder that sets hard within a few hours after the addition of water.
- It therefore acquires strength with time.
- There are many types of cement available on the market, the most common type is known as ordinary Portland cement (OPC).
- The most suitable type of cement for marine works, however, is sulphate-resisting cement (SRC).
Cement usually comes in paper bags containing 50 kg of cement each. To make good concrete individual pieces of stone should be bound with a cement paste to produce a mix as dense and nonporous as possible. The aggregate (both the sand and the stone) has to be hard for the concrete to be durable. Pieces of crushed aggregate are angular in shape whereas river or beach gravel is rounded. Aggregate obtained from the sea will contain salt which is harmful to concrete. Sea aggregate must, therefore, be washed repeatedly with fresh water before being used in concrete. The most reliable source of stone rubble for construction is the quarry. A quarry is usually worked for a whole range of sizes of stone and the yield of the right sizes depends on the capability of the person carrying out the blasting as well as on the geological composition of the ground.
As with aggregate, the durability of the concrete depends on the hardness of the stone. Again, as a general rule, a steel penknife should just be able to scratch the stone. If the stone scratches very easily, it is not suitable for breakwaters, quays or any structure in contact with sea water and a supply of harder stone should be sought.
Reinforcing steel is used inside a concrete section to make the section stronger. In marine work, the steel should have a minimum concrete cover of 50 mm to prevent sea-water corrosion. Steel bars for reinforcing concrete come in a range of diameters, from as little as 6 mm up to 32 mm. The most commonly used sizes are: 6-mm diameter, 0.222 kg/m; 8-mm diameter, 0.395 kg/m; 10-mm diameter, 0.6 17 kg/m; 12-mm diameter, 0.888 kg/m; 14-mm diameter, 1.208 kg/m; 18-mm diameter, 1.998 kg/m; 20-mm diameter, 2.466 kg/m; 24-mm diameter, 5.55 1 kg/m. Bars are seldom more than 12 m long. Reinforcement is also available as welded steel mesh.
What is OPC & PPC cement?
Difference Between OPC and PPC Cement Sheikh Anwarul Mahdi PPC cement full form is Portland Pozzolana Cement, OPC cement full form is Ordinary Portland Cement, Both PPC and OPC cement is used in construction. PPC cement is a variant of OPC cement. These two types of cement differ from each other in terms of component, strength, heat generation, the percentage of several components, durability, grades, cost, eco-friendly nature, application, setting time, curing period, etc.
|Sources||OPC Cement||PPC Cement|
|1||Definition/ Components||A mixture of limestone and other raw materials like argillaceous, calcareous, and gypsum is prepared and then grinded to prepare OPC (Ordinary Portland Cement).||PPC (Portland Pozzolana Cement) is prepared by adding Pozzolanic materials to OPC. So, the main components are OPC, gypsum, and pozzolanic materials (15~35%) which include calcined clay, volcanic ash, fly ash, or silica fumes.|
|2||Strength||Initial strength is higher than PPC.||PPC concrete has higher strength than OPC concrete over a longer period of time.|
|3||Heat of hydration||Generates more heat than PPC in hydration reaction which makes it less suitable for mass casting.||It has a slow hydration process and thus generates less heat than OPC.|
|4||Durability||OPC concrete is less durable in aggressive weather.||PPC concrete is more durable in aggressive weather.|
|5||Cost||Costlier than PPC.||Cheaper than OPC.|
|6||Environmental Impact||Emits CO 2 during the manufacturing process.||It constitutes industrial and natural waste which makes it eco-friendly.|
|7||Application/||It is suitable where fast construction is required but not suitable for mass concreting due to heat issues as mentioned above.||It is suitable for all types of construction work. For example RCC casting of buildings, mass concreting for bridges, and even plastering and other non-structural works.|
|8||Setting Time||Lower than PPC. Its initial setting time is 30 minutes and the final setting time is 280 minutes. Its faster setting time helps faster construction.||The setting time of PPC portland is higher than OPC. Its initial setting time is 30 minutes and the final setting time is 600 minutes. Its slower setting time helps to get better finishing.|
|9||OPC has finiteness of 225 sq.m/kg. It has lower fineness than PPC. So, it has higher permeability resulting in lower durability.||OPC has finiteness of 300 sq.m/kg. It has higher fineness than OPC. So, it has lower permeability resulting in higher durability.|
|10||Grades available||33 Grade, 43 Grade, and 53 Grade OPC cement are available.||No specified grade of PPC cement is available.|
|11||Lower than PPC.||Higher than OPC.|
|12||Resistance against chemical attack||It has lower resistance against alkalis, sulfates, chlorides, etc.||It has higher resistance against alkalis, sulfates, chlorides, etc.|
Difference Between OPC and PPC Cement
Which one is better OPC or PPC cement?
PPC has an edge on OPC as PPC has slower rate of heat of hydration. Thereby PPC is prone to less cracks & reduced shrinkage), better workability and finishing (as fly ash based cement are spherical in shape and finer in size).
Where is OPC 53 used?
What are cement grades and their purposes during construction? What are Cement Grades and Their Purposes During Construction? Cement is an indispensable component in the construction of a building. No great building can stand tall and high without the foundation of cement. Because of this, the strength of the cement matters the most.
- Decoding the grades of the cement
- These cement grades are certified according to the cement grade list.
- Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) is prepared when limestone is grinded and mixed with other raw materials like gypsum, calcareous, and argillaceous to fine powder. OPC is further classified into three popular grades such as:
- When a cement has a comprehensive strength of 33N/millimetre square after testing it for 28 days, it is called OPC (Ordinary Portland Cement) 33-Grade Cement.
Attributes of OPC 33 Grade Cement
- It has high workability as it finds its use in masonry and plastering work
- The strength of this cement keeps on growing even after 28 days
- The heat of hydration is low when compared to other grades of cement like 43 grade cement and 53 grade cement.
Applications of OPC 33 Grade Cement
- It is popular in masonry work
- It is used for making the brickwork of the walls
- It assists in tiling of the floors
- It is applied in areas which require comprehensive strength below M20
B) OPC 43 Grade Cement When the cement reaches a comprehensive strength of 43N/millimetre square after it gets tested for 28 days, it is called OPC (Ordinary Portland Cement) 43 Grade Cement. Attributes of OPC 43 Grade Cement
- The presence of low chloride content does not lead to corrosion of steel reinforcement
- It comprises good workability of concrete
- The heat of hydration as compared to other cement grades is medium
- It gives a better finish to the surfaces
- It is infused with moderately sulphate resisting power
Applications of OPC 43 Grade Cement
- It facilitates the making of Ready-Mix Concrete (RMC)
- It assists in the construction of RCC bridges, silos and chimneys
- It helps in the perfect finishing of different structures like bridges, buildings, roads and water retaining structures.
- It is deployed for ship form construction
- It is used in the precast and prestressed concrete.
C) OPC 53 Grade Cement The cement that gains a comprehensive strength of 53N/millimetre square after its done testing for 28 days is called OPC (Ordinary Portland Cement) 53 Grade Cement. Attributes of OPC 53 Grade Cement
- It bears great resistance to sulphate
- It consists of low chloride content
- It is adopted in places with speedy construction activities
- It is pocket-friendly as it saves big on shuttering cost
Applications of OPC 53 Grade Cement
- It supports the construction of railway concrete sleepers, RCC components, beams, columns, footings, slabs, etc.
- It is used in the girders
- It is used in industrial buildings, roads and runways.
2) Portland Pozzolana Cement The Portland Pozzolana Cement is manufactured when the OPC Cement is synthesised with pozzolana materials in specific proportions. The PPC Cement is used for the construction of dams, marine structures, precast sewage pipes, etc.
As it constitutes a better finishing material, it is used in decorative structures, masonry, plastering, etc.3) Portland Slag Cement is formed when burnt furnace slag is blended with ordinary Portland cement in definite proportions. The cement is applied in seawater construction projects as it has good resistant capacity that withstands sulphate attacks.
It is further used in mass concrete work like construction of roads, dams, rafts, etc. If you are looking for the best quality Portland Pozzolana Cement and Portland Slag Cement, then look forward to MP Birla Cement. MP Birla Cement is the best supplier of cement in India with products like and MP Birla Portland Slag Cement. MP Birla Perfect Plus is their premium quality specially engineered PPC Cement that is utilised in pillar, foundation and roofing structures.
- On the other hand, MP Birla PSC Cement combines advanced technology with state-of-the-art equipment that ensures great durability, strength, resistance and decreased quality time.
- Final thoughts Now that you are informed with the cement grades, we hope it helps you in making the right purchase of the cement based on your necessities and requirements.
It’s always better and smart to consult with the special expertise of builders and architects who can further guide you with the process. : What are cement grades and their purposes during construction?
Which cement is used for water tank?
PPC (Portland pozzolana cement) is preferred over OPC (Ordinary Portland cement) for water storage applications. The fly ash used in PPC helps with handling the thermal strain that occurs in large masses of concrete used in dams.
What type of cement is waterproof?
In cement: Types of portland cement Waterproof cement is the name given to a portland cement to which a water-repellent agent has been added. Hydrophobic cement is obtained by grinding portland cement clinker with a film-forming substance such as oleic acid in order to reduce the rate of deterioration when the