BUILDING PLANNING AND CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES OF PROJECT –
- Building planning and Construction activities is required for completion of the project well within the stipulated time, incorporating the laid own specifications at the lowest practical cost.
- For this, an engineer must study each major-minor item of construction to determine the possibility of completing the project at the earliest, with incurring the least expenditure while utilizing all adequate resources manpower equipment.
- An engineer who practices this philosophy is rendering a real service to his employer.
- Thus, it is evident that for effective building planning and Construction activities, the reasonably familiar with construction methods and costs.
- The decisions of the engineer should be based on a thorough knowledge of construction methods and costs.
- The construction planning of a project may be divided into three parts and are
- Labour force
- Finance required for material and labour force as well as equipment, supervision, and overheads.
Taking this into consideration, an activity completion chart should be prepared, to arrive at the completion of the overall project according to a time schedule. this becomes a reference construction schedule from which material schedule, labour schedule, and finance schedule are derived.1. MATERIAL SCHEDULE
- As stated earlier, the engineer concerned is expected to be familiar with building planning and Construction activities methods and costs.
- This engineer normally works out detailed quantities of the entire material required for the building or project under his jurisdiction.
- Such total quantities can be listed down serially in one format.
- Later, referring to the building planning and Construction activities completion chart, the month-wise requirement of each material can be worked out.
- Each material required for construction has a different lead-time.
- Lead time is the time difference between the placement of the order and the actual delivery of the material on site.
- Accordingly, the material order and receipt schedule should be prepared.
- This schedule acts as a guide for placing the order for materials that are to be delivered. the site well in advance, to avoid any delay in starting the building planning and construction activities.
- The material should not be stored or dumped far away as it is likely to be stolen, lost, damaged, or may deteriorate.
- Since the delivery dates and quantities of all the materials required are mentioned in the material order and receipt schedule, unnecessary congestion of working spaces is also avoided at the site.
- Material order receipt schedule
|MATERIAL PLANNING SCHEDULE|
2. LABOUR SCHEDULE
- This schedule indicates the number and type of labourers required for each building planning and Construction activities operation. The consolidated labour schedule.
- whos the number and period for labourers of different classes. Labour schedules help in making arrangements for labourers of different categories welt in advance.
- The calculation of labour strength required for various activities during a specified period should be done. Refer to the example given below.
- Accordingly, we can calculate other unskilled labourers, male coolies, female coolies required per day.
NOTE: Before preparing the bar chart, the estimation of quantity for each activity is a must.
|MATERIAL ORDER RECEIPT SCHEDULE|
3. FINANCE OR CASH FLOW SCHEDULE
- The building planning and Construction activities completion chart gives an idea of the activities in a particular month/ period if the vertical column of time is referred to.
- With the help of this column, the engineer can work out the monthly cash flow requirement, taking additional help of material and labor schedules.
|A typical graph of projected time and expenditure|
BUILDING PLANNING AND CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES SCHEDULE
What is a construction schedule?
What Is a Construction Schedule? – A construction schedule is a timeline for every task and event in a construction project. The construction schedule is a fundamental part of the project planning phase, as it also defines the resources needed and the teams responsible for each task in the construction process.
What is labour management in construction?
Different Types of Construction Contracts Labour management in construction is a very aspect that every contractor, construction manager or supervisor needs to fully comprehend. It a very important technique applied by managers in the management of the construction project.
Why are construction projects so difficult to schedule?
Construction projects are notoriously difficult, and they’re known for encountering delays. They involve a lot of moving parts, teams, equipment and materials. If any discipline needs a well-thought-out schedule, it’s construction project management. Tools that are embedded in construction project management software, such as Gantt charts and resource management, are key features to control the many phases of a construction product.
What is construction workforce scheduling and why is it important?
MAINTAINING QUALITY – Effective construction workforce scheduling can help you ensure quality by grouping employees together appropriately and allocating them based on skills and the project’s needs. This avoids you having to scramble and fill positions on your lineup with whoever’s available, regardless of their suitability for the project.